Monday, August 18, 2008

Farewell Bay Meadows


Yesterday was a sad day - it marked the final day of live racing at Bay Meadows, the longest operating Thoroughbred racetrack in California. My love affair with Bay Meadows began with my first 'official' date with an ex of mine. It was new year's day. After an evening of debauchery, we decided to keep it going at the races. Yodeling Jenny was my horse. She never let me down.

I've been to numerous other tracks over the years: Golden Gate Fields and even the dog races to see my mom sing the national anthem. Yep - you heard that right. The previously mentioned ex and I actually considered making a trek to Idaho to witness nature vs. nature gone amuck in a cloned mule race. Idaho Gem, the first ever cloned mule was set to race his clone Taz and we couldn't miss that! Sadly, I think we were too broke for the adventure. I wonder who won?

Aside from the depravity, the wonderful people-watching, the gambling, and cheap hotdogs and beer my favorite part of the day was hearing the sound of that trumpet. The Bay Meadows trumpet buddy always played the theme from the Simpsons which for some odd reason made me happy.


No comments: