Wednesday, July 16, 2008

SP20 Hangover/Gonerfest Lineup Announced

I've returned from the Emerald City safe and sound, though exhausted and rather sunburned. I forget that summer still exists in other cities.

SP20 is definitely in the running for top festivals attended. My personal highlight would have to be Red Red Meat followed closely by Mudhoney; despite their short set. I did get to hear some hits like Touch Me I'm Sick and Sweet Young Thing, but why no F.D.K.?

Also, what's up with depriving Kelly Stoltz from the rest of us? I talked to my buddy Jay and apparently he flew in just to play a VIP show at the Space Needle. Lame. There were rumblings of surprise guest appearances at the fest - but no L7, Sleater-Kinney or MCD. This girl left a little disappointed.

I had grandeur plans of heading over to the Tractor to catch King Khan get his teabagging on, but alas I was too tired, drunk, stoned, and showed out to make it. I hear I missed quite the show. Minus the BBQ (Mark Sultan) it just isn't the same though. Don't get me wrong - Khan can shake it in his little sequin get-up, but Mark's do-wop numbers are what really do it for me.

Speaking of festivals, I hear they just announced the lineup for this year's Gonerfest.
http://www.goner-records.com/gonerfest/

Hmmmm...not sold just yet. Then again, if Greg Cartwright confirmed you know I'd be there in a second. Last year I didn't get to see any of Memphis outside of the Hi-Tone and the pool at the Artisan. Maybe this year I could actually do a little less rock and a little more sightseeing. Not likely to happen.

What happens in Memphis stays in Memphis

No comments: