Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Kids are Alright

I was drinking at Waziema with a buddy of mine last night, when he tells me that he’s supposed to put in a good word for me re: his friend. I play dumb. “What do you mean?”

“He thinks you’re cute.”

Now, most people would respond with something like, “I’m flattered,” or “Sweet - you’ll have to hook that one up.” Not me. The first thing I ask is how old said dude is. Now for those of you who are unaware, I might just have a proclivity towards older men. Not that these older men have gotten me anywhere – quite the contrary. Sooooo maybe it’s time that I re-evaluate my screening process and give these young boys a shot.

Here are some tunes from three young bands that I can’t stop listening to. The first is from the Seattle group The Dutchess and the Duke, who were introduced to me by this awesome lady Laura that I met on the bus en route to the Sub Pop 20 Festival. We shared beers and reveled in the similarities between our bizarre sleeping habits. Where o where have you gone Laura? The song does have quite the paint it black chord progression…but maybe that’s not such a bad thing. The next song is from the local babies The Stone Foxes. Thanks for the introduction Nick. Jeff Tweedy meets Faces era Rod Stewart. Soooo good. They’ve got their CD release show going on in a few weeks down at the Rickshaw. I hate that venue and vowed to never see another show there. I might have to make an exception for these dudes. The last song is from the latest of the In The Red bands – Cheap Time. I never seem to tire of this TN garage rock, especially when it’s from hot young boys.

me likey

Speaking of babies, my poor Matt Cain has had a rough time recently. He went a solid seven innings last night, but that just wasn’t enough to defeat the Dodgers. You’ll come out of your slump Cain – keep your fatty chin up! Your bobble head will replace the creepy Jim Cramer booyah screaming toy in an attempt to bring you some luck.

1 comment:

Nick Marcantonio said...

glad you're digging that stone foxes stuff. dan actually turned me on to that dutchess and the duke record on both of the summer concert series trips.