Monday, September 22, 2008

My Georgie

I just found out that my favorite (living) author will be giving a lecture as part of the City Arts and Lecture series.

City Arts

That's right, my little Georgie, aka George Saunders returns to our fare city on October 6th. A few months back he did a book signing for his first non-fiction collection, The Braindead Megaphone at Booksmith. I had all of these intelligent questions and witty comments saved up, but when it came my turn to say hello, I drew a blank. I was suddenly a teenager and meeting my favorite band for the first time. He asked where I was from. I managed to mutter the city of Seattle. After several awkward pauses I told him this was my first book signing. Then I amended that statement.

"Well, not really. I attempted to meet Leonard Cohen during his book tour a few years ago, but I gave up when the line was too long."

He replied with, "thankfully for you I'm not nearly as cool as Leonard Cohen."

This time I'm keeping my mouth shut.

No comments: